Monday, October 10, 2011

"You just love each other that's why you always kiss each other"

Being the step mom of two young girls has been an educational experience to say the very least.  The ex-wife joined the military a few weeks after Tony's and my wedding, and then about a month later Tony got switched to swing shift (2:30pm-11:30pm).  All of a sudden I became an all-but single mom.  A typical day for us is as follows:
  1. Wake up, let the dogs out, pack lunch 6:30
  2. Wake the girls 6:45
  3. Wake Alexis (6) again, threaten water dousing this time 6:50
  4. Dress Bella (2)/ do her hair/ brush her teeth 6:55
  5. Remind Alexis to brush teeth/brush hair/you can't wear tank tops to school/you need tennis shoes for PE today/you need socks with tennis shoes/no you can't wear socks with sandals, I don't care who does it, it looks silly/ attempt to make myself presentable 6:55-7:20
  6. Drop Bella off at child care on base 7:30
  7. Drop Alexis off at school 7:50
  8. Drive an hour to get to my 9:00 class
  9. Class/Graduate Research till 4:15
  10. Drive an hour to pick-up Bella no later than 5:30 (it's $3 per minute you're late!)
  11. Walk across the street to pick up Alexis from after school care 5:35
  12. Get home 5:45
  13. Cook dinner quickly b/c Tony gets a hour for "lunch" at 6:00
  14. Family Dinner 6:15
  15. Help Alexis with Homework 7:00
  16. Get Bella ready and in bed by 7:30
  17. Get Alexis ready and in bed by 8:00
  18. Do my own homework/research/conference prep
  19. Wait up for Tony (cause I can't sleep without him) anywhere from 11:45-3:15 depending
  20. Wash, Rinse, Repeat
Notice there wasn't any time in there for bathing?  Yeah me too.  It happens, trust me it does, those are the nights that I magically stop time ( what? don't all evil stepmothers have magic powers?)

No comments:

Post a Comment